Incorporate arts integration at home!
Post date: Nov 11, 2014 2:45:18 AM
1. Read a Poem a Day — help instill a love of poetry by reading aloud. Read works of current poets and famous poets of the past. Read long poems and short poems. Read rhyming poems and free verse.
2. Go on a neighborhood poetry walk. Stop at various points — the park, the street corner, a neighbor’s house and ask your child to write a sentence or two that describes what he or she sees. Back at home, your child can revise and shorten those sentences and turn them into a poem.
3. Show your child how to write an acrostic poem, in which the first letter of each line spells out his or her name, when read top to bottom. Once the child writes a poem based on his or her own name, they can write about family members, friends, or pets.
4. Read aloud a poem around the dinner table maintaining the rhythm. Tap out the beat using forks and spoons while you read.
5. Turn a poem into a rap song — make sounds “acoustics” to go along.