Kensington Parkwood PTA is here for you.
Welcome to the KP PTA website. Our PTA is a volunteer, parent-run organization committed to supporting the KP community. We work to enrich the school experience, create opportunities to come together, and keep everyone better informed! Join the KP PTA and donate to the Eagle Fund here. Come volunteer anytime!
*Click here for KPPTA Calendar*
*Order your KP Yearbook here!
* Totally 80's Party and Silent Auction Thursday May 14th 6:30-9:30PM Rock Creek Mansion (scroll down for flyer)
- 4.3. Note from PTA President re: Community Update
Dear KP Families,
As I sit down to write this, it’s a sunny and breezy Friday morning. Normally my family would be searching for missing shoes and grabbing coats and backpacks on our way to the bus stop. Instead we’re crossing off days on a calendar and marking Day 20 of our stay-at-home adventure. There are so many uncertainties right now, but one thing that does seem certain is that this global coronavirus pandemic is not going to be over in the next few weeks and we’re likely to continue to see restrictions on public outings, travel and large-scale gatherings for some time to come.
By now many of you have probably experienced the joy of trying to log your child(ren) into a zoom class meeting. It is super challenging for parents and students, and for our teachers -- who are also trying to learn and teach in a totally new way. Hopefully we’ll all get the hang of online learning soon. MCPS has put out some guidelines for how to log into your child’s zoom account and join a class meeting. You can find their resources here: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/coronavirus/continuity-of-learning/.
Given the situation that is unfolding across our state, country, and world, the PTA Board has decided to cancel our events for the duration of the current school year and shift gears to better serve our community’s current needs. In lue of in-person events, here is some of what we’re working on:
1. A virtual Science Fair using Flip Grid so students can do experiments and record videos of their presentations to share with others.
2. Alternative ways to celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week. You’ll be hearing from your class room parents and the teacher appreciation week volunteers on what’s being planned and how you can participate!
3. We’re also discussing ways for our community to stay connected. We hope to use our KP PTA Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KensingtonParkwood/ to share school spirit, updates, and resources. We hope you will join us by going to the FB page and clicking “Like” and then bookmarking it so you can check back often! Stay tuned for info on virtual KP Spirit Days when we can all wear KP gear/colors and do crazy hair day at home, etc!
4. We also want to remind everyone that financial assistance is available to families in need and can be arranged confidentially by contacting Principal Ross (Candace_M_Ross@mcpsmd.org) or Mrs. Wert (Elizabeth_A_Wert@mcpsmd.org).
5. Finally, our nominating committee, chaired by Lisa Welsien (firstname.lastname@example.org), is continuing the important work of putting together next year’s PTA Board. Now more than ever we need to work together to help KP come back strong and vibrant in September. Please consider joining the board or chairing a committee for the coming school year. Reach out to Lisa directly to learn more about what’s involved and how to volunteer.
As always, we are here to help and support all of you as you navigate this unsettling time. We can’t wait for everyone to be back at KP having fun together. In the meantime, we look forward to connecting virtually and keeping our community strong! Please let us know if there’s anything that I or the rest of the PTA Board can do for you.
KP PTA President
- Note from PTA President re: Coronavirus:
Dear KP Community,
The safety of our students, their families, and our KP community is the top priority of the KP PTA. Out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to postpone the following upcoming PTA events:
Breakfast & Books (Fri March 13)
3rd Grade Career Day (Fri March 13)
Shamrock Skate Night (Sat March 14)
KP Yard Sale (Sat March 21)
PTA Meeting (Thurs March 26)
The PTA Board has been closely monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) updates and have also reached out to many other PTA organizations in the area. The general consensus given the information we have today is that postponing our gatherings is in the best interest of our community’s health and safety. We have been in contact with KP administration and our event chairs and will continue to monitor developments as we do our best to reschedule these events.
Anna Sachs, KP PTA President
- MCPS Coronavirus Updates can be found here.
- February 2020 Newsletter can be found here. For previous issues click here.
- Staff Appreciation Breakfasts- Once a month, KP Hospitality Committee organizes a special breakfast for KP teachers and staff. February's breakfast is provided by 2nd Grade Families. Click here to sign up!
- Bus Info and Schedules are available by clicking here.
- Are you going to volunteer at KP? You are required to take the MCPS Child Abuse and Neglect Training online first. Click here for the link.
- Access the KPES Directory here.
The PTA sponsors an array of programs and services for students, parents, teachers and the community.
For more about the school, visit the Kensington Parkwood ES website.
Get news about the PTA on the EagleNet listserv--sign up by emailing KPEaglenet@gmail.com with your child’s name and teacher.